Hello my readers in cyberworld.
I wish I could report that all is well here in Edinburgh, but alas, 'tis not to be.
2011 has hit back with a vengeance.
It was hard to say goodbye to B&J and the boys. W tried to help me pack. My zipper broke on my bag.
And then I was off.
I got stuck next to big heavy-set men on the flight from Allentown to Detroit.
That was fun. But at least I got a window seat.
I love the Detroit airport by the way. I mean LOVE. First off, very clear signs and the tram goes THROUGH the airport! Above the shops!
And I didn't have to go through security again. The Detroit airport is great.
Alas, I got stuck next to another heavy-set guy... who smelled.
Ohhhh. I've never been so grateful for the little fans above your seat.
And Delta had no decent film choices.
I did not sleep on the flight (and Delta did not provide eye masks! Seriously!)
At least the Amsterdam airport is pretty darn cool. They had a display of works by famous Dutch painters, including Vermeer and Rembrandt. A nice way to spend a couple hours. There was also a grand piano, a baby care room and a kids forest! Wow. It didn't feel like an airport.
The sun rose as we flew toward Scotland.
Edinburgh was great to see, flying in over the Forth of Firth. It was beautiful (alas no pictures turned out).
It was once I was home, unpacked and showered that the first panic attack hit.
Ohhh, great.
So here I am again, living off soup and cream crackers, trying to talk myself out of flying home and feeling dark and hopeless.
At least I'm saving money on groceries and losing weight!
It's getting better. But definitely not the way I planned on spending the beginning of 2011.
It means I've gotten lots of priesthood blessings and spend most of my time listening to various Conference talks, which I've downloaded onto my Ipod. It helps.
However, Napier had introduction modules and my social life has started up again!
The mood improves...gradually.
And then today, during church, I noticed my left eye was a bit blurry. It must be my contacts drying out, I thought. (Contact is such a weird thing to call them). So I came home and took it out... still blurry.
Which brings us to today's lesson: Never look up medical information on the interwebs.
Google "eye film or blurry eye" and suddenly you have glaucoma or a detached retina.
I finally did a symptom checker on the NHS website and was told to go to A&E (Accident and Emergency) right away.
Okay, no need to panic.
Turns out there wasn't. I called NHS (see this is why medical care in the UK is kinda cool) and they actually set up an appointment for me. I dragged a friend along, because, well, I hate doctors.
Lights were aimed into my eye. A dye stick got shoved in there (ouch) and looked at using black light... and nothing.
Apparently, just an irritation in the eye.
And the blurriness is gone.
Well, that was fun and, luckily for me, free.
The only sad part, the dye didn't make my eye change color... not fair!
At least 2011 has not been dull.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I find transitions to be the most difficult.
ReplyDelete2011 can be your year.