Sunday, 23 September 2012

Pascal

My Pascal.
So last weekend was horrible.
My cat, Pascal,  was killed.

It happened on Friday evening. I was sitting on the couch when I heard this thump and I somehow knew something bad had happened. He had been hit by a car and disappeared into the grass/weeds on the other side of the road. My mom and I searched until it was too dark to see, but couldn't find the body. The worst part was I didn't know which cat until the other two came home.

Long emotional story made short, (which you probably read on Facebook) I found him at 1am and immediately knew he was seriously hurt. So I called the vet and ended up running him in.
They kept him for the night, but Pascal was too badly injured for the miracle I was hoping for, so I had to say goodbye. I buried him with three roses from the bush I found him by last year and a nice little headstone.
I wish I'd held him one last time.
Still, I'm grateful that I did find him, that I was able to say goodbye.
I'm grateful he didn't die in pain.
I'm grateful for a kind vet.
I'm grateful that I still have two cats.
I'm so very grateful for the vast amount of love and support I've received. Texts and facebook messages. It really comforted me to know that I had friends standing by me.

Nights are still the hardest, because he used to curl up between my legs as I went to sleep Mostly for the warm ricepack, I think.
He also curled up on my legs or on my arm in the evenings and sleep while I pet him.
He loved watching my laptop screen.
I am Dr. Claw.
But I still have two adorable cats that I can cuddle.
And I firmly believe that I will see my Pascal again.
I found a website with articles about dealing with the loss a pet and the vet wrote a gorgeous article about whether pets go to heaven.
As she stated, would a loving God give us pets to teach us love, patience and mercy and
then say "Sorry, you can't see this creature you loved because it 'doesn't have a soul?' (Pets have souls. This is in the scriptures).
I don't see Heavenly Father doing that to us.
Of course, that also means I'll definitely be a crazy cat lady in the next life. ha ha ha.

So I picked 10 photos of my Pascal, had them printed and they are now on my wall.
That helps me to remember him healthy and happy.

I am grateful that Heavenly Father answers prayers.
And I'm very grateful that I got to have a cat named Pascal, even if it was only for a short time.
Thank you, Pascal, for being my cat.




1 comment: