Sunday, 4 July 2010

Who doesn't love cookies?

A word of caution: Do not watch Veggie Tales on a Fast Sunday. Talking vegetables remind you that you're hungry and there also seems to be an abundance of pizza, cookies, and other food in the show, which does not help.
Lord of the Beans is hilarious, though, and teaches an important lesson. Which is why I'm watching it on a Sunday.
Now onward...

Happy Independence Day to America! It's been nice to celebrate it. I've missed the parades and the fireworks (although Rexburg's is very quaint compared to Edinburgh's displays). I'm still proud to be American, even though I want to live abroad.
It was great yesterday to watch the parade with W for the first time. He dances to the music. Adorable! I still think that the English really need a parade and fireworks for St. George's Day. Anyway, plus Cream of Weber gives out free chocolate milks along the parade route. Yummy!
I love being able to celebrate the Fourth on a Saturday, it leaves the Sunday for the more spiritual celebrations.
A little awkward running into my old supervisor. Luckily, it was short. After the parade, I spent the rest of the day taking a nap. It's been a rough week.

As you know, I've applied to four universities for my next degree. When I applied for my other Masters degrees, I got turned down by a few, so I expected it this time.
However, this week I kept getting accepted to each university and the added options increased the pressure. Suddenly there wasn't one path, but several. And friends at each of them (except Oxford Brookes) who wanted me to come there. Now I knew where I wanted to go, but maybe that wasn't where I was supposed to go.
Then I accepted three shifts at the potato plant. The first night was kinda fun as I wandered around all this large factory equipment and metal catwalks with a very powerful water gun... I felt like James Bond. Great fun. Then I was moved to the hottest place on earth - Granules... where I spent four hours loading large metal vats full of flour, dried sweet cream (very nice smell), and flour salt  to make mashed potato mix (for Denny's). I lifted about 200 lbs worth of sacks. Ugh. It was so hot that my face was bright red and I had to take several breaks for water and to sit in front of the fan downstairs placed in front of the air conditioner. I almost fainted, I was so hot. I also came home covered in granules. I was very grainy. Alas, the next two nights were spent sorting potatoes on the conveyor belt. It almost made me hate potatoes! That and the fact that I smelled like potatoes and sweet cream from the night before (I knew I should have washed my uniform). Plus, the constant movement sometimes made me feel like I was moving. Have you ever had that? I had to keep looking at the end of the belt to "right" myself. Later that night, even trying to read my scriptures, it felt like the words were moving. Bleh.  But it's money and it's made me vow to not ever, ever, EVER end up in this position again. However, the people there are amazingly friendly and kind. Great to work with and for.

So Friday I ran my time sheet down to the company in Idaho Falls. Since I was down there already, I decided to go to the temple and pray for confirmation about my decision. I couldn't fit in a temple session. I've been thinking about which school to choose (not much else to do for eight hours except stare at potatoes and sing random songs-luckily my mind is a veritable jukebox). I love the temple. It fills me with peace even simply being on the grounds. Idaho Falls temple was closed, but I found this little garden and a nice bench and I did and it is right.

So I'm heading back to Edinburgh! Woot! Woot!

Lots of big plans to make. I actually found a flat online, but I haven't heard back from the guy yet. Darn it, guy!
I'm crazy, going back for another degree! So excited, though. Hopefully this one will lead directly to a job... even if the UK is tightening the number of work visas issued.

One thing is that I want to get a 2:1 this time. I want to do my best on this degree. Off on the next adventure!

So that's the update. Now I'm counting down the days until I leave. My bro, B, is also leaving for a job back East. I'm sad and hope I can stay close to my two nephews. They will be a bit closer to me, though.

A lady in my ward made me a bunch of mini cupcakes for my birthday... isn't that so sweet! I can't wait to have one.

Oh and I watched two great films this week... check out Adam with Hugh Dancy. A great film about love and disability. Also, When in Rome, a great romantic comedy. I really enjoyed it.

It's my birthday tomorrow! Yay me!

Ta luvs!

No comments:

Post a Comment