Sunday, 15 August 2010

And we're living here in Allentown.

Fun fact: Billy Joel sings a song titled, "Allentown", which contains the above line. I do not lie.
This has come up when I tell people where B and J are moving to. Ironically, it was on the radio last week as I drove through Rexburg. I had not heard it before. It's not a happy song, however. I doubt I will adding it to my Itunes.

So here I am in Allentown. I don't see any factories, though. Perhaps, they've all disappeared. It is, however, very, very hot. Ah, humidity, I had forgotten you. Sticky icky.

My Sister in Law and I decided that it was very wise that we flew instead of driving. Not only did it keep our necks from developing a permanent crick from looking back constantly, but just nine hours of travel nearly killed us. Let us not contemplate the horror a four day drive would have been. We flew from Idaho Falls to Salt Lake, had time for lunch, and then caught the flight to Atlanta and then to Allentown, which is, apparently, an International airport.
I will be forever grateful to several people who helped us out. One stewardess even took W for a walk around the plane while she did her job. Bless her. 

So I've been helping unpack and being a baby wrangler for various reasons. I'm also anxiously counting down the days until I'm in Edinburgh.
I like Allentown, though. B and J live just down the street from a Synagogue, which is beautiful, and an awesome campus of a local college is a block away. W will like to play there. There are oak trees here and TONS of acorns. W did not understand why I was so excited about one. Still, I've never seen an acorn. It was cool!
I did forget about the humidity and my poor hair is frizzed. Silly me didn't pack anything really cool and, gosh, it's hot! So I may need to go shopping this week for skirts or shorts or something, and some of the clothes in my suitcases may not make the trip across the pond.

AND I received an email yesterday informing me that my visa app has been APPROVED! Yipee! This does mean that I didn't need to send in the documents I mailed Thursday (which, the email informed me, had to be received in 7 days or my app would be rejected. Now I'm not up to mail times, but I'm fairly sure a letter from Idaho can't make it to LA in one day). So my official Edinburgh transcript may never return (grrr)... still, I can book a flight! I'm officially going back now!

Interesting side note, I found a flight to Edinburgh via New York, which leaves NYC and lands in Glasgow (which is about 40 minutes away from the 'burgh by car)... then flies to London and THEN to Edinburgh. Yep, 'cause that makes perfect sense. My mind is boggled by the airline industry.

It's been quite fun to be here with my bro and his family. J is quickly becoming my favorite nephew. I think it's his smile. A charmer. W is still the Master Charmer. Practically everyone on the planes and in the airports stopped or paused to look at him.
The ward here is great too, so nice and friendly.
A lot of people are friendly. W helps pave the way.
So Phase 1 is complete and Phase 2 is underway in a couple weeks. Back to Edinburgh! Huzzah! I'm looking forward to the cooler temperatures. :)

Then the flat hunt begins! Words cannot describe how much I am looking forward to having my own place. Anticipaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaation.
Note: I'm willing to take suggestions on mobile/cell phone companies (Orange and I have parted ways very acrimoniously, on my part) and broadband, etc for the UK.

And finally, your funny video of the day. I will openly admit to having 3 crushes on the interwebs: Check them out: David MitchellShyaporn (the man is amazing and funny) and klusmanp. Seriously, I would marry this man.*
How can you not love a man who reenacts movie scenes - with cats? Exactly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idoHtkbC7Wk&playnext=1&videos=3s3W6nb-VGY

Good night, my friends!

*Actually, I would marry any of the the three.

No comments:

Post a Comment