Friday, 20 August 2010

Saying farewell to an old friend.

In 2004 I had a full time job at ISU and I owned this dinky brown 1985 Honda Accord. No one ever wanted to ride in my car, as it was only 2 door. It had a CD player, that skipped anytime I hit a bump in the road (which made the drive on I-84 home from Boise great fun).
I had bought that Honda with my own money while working at McDonalds, after I ran my first car out of oil. I must mention that I was taking an Auto Care course at the time.
The little Honda had served me well. However, it was small and I spent January 2004 traveling a lot between Rexburg, Twin Falls, Pocatello, in Idaho, and Bountiful, Utah. Winter driving is freaky scary and as these semi-trucks passed me going 25 mph on interstates, I kept thinking I was going to die. It was not a stress-free winter.
I decided I needed a new car. One with 4 or all wheel drive.
I began the hunt, subscribing to Consumer Reports and scouring reviews of cars and SUVs to find a good one. I began visiting local car dealers.
The Honda CRV was one option, until the car salesman took me and a friend out onto a long stretch of road, got the car up to 65 mph and the SLAMMED on the brakes. The little hair clip in my hair was nearly embedded in my skull.
This demonstration was to show me the wonder of the ABLS (anti-lock brakes)!
I did not mention that I was paying $4 a month to Consumer Reports so THEY could do it.
He let me drive and tried to get me to do the same - hit the brakes at 65 mph.
Needless to say, I did not get the CRV.

I found the Toyota Highlander (which is still my dream car, but I have to be married and have kids first - 'tis the only excuse to own such a huge vehicle. Drives like a dream). And, eventually, I settled on the Toyota Rav4.
This decision involved a trip to the local dealer who tried to sell me a brand new one, that was blue. Couldn't afford. Wrong color.

Somehow, someway, I came across an ad at a car dealer in Salt Lake who was selling a green (the color I wanted) Toyota Rav4 at the price I could afford. It had a CD player that didn't skip, cruise control, four doors, Power steering (praise the gods), AND a moon roof. I'm still not sure how that's different from a sun roof, but heck, still wanted one.
Mom and I drove down to the dealership, full of great people, test drove it, and a couple hours, and one trade-in later (goodbye Honda), I drove my lovely new car home.
My bro B decided on the name Puck, after the character from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.

I fell in love.
As my mum says, I treated the car like a boyfriend. I washed him every week, shined him, vacuumed him at least once a month, and even bought a car cover for him. I also, much to one friend's terror, drove him up a hill in Pocatello. The hill was this angle -  \. He stalled once.
I could drive past semi-trucks in more confidence, feeling less like an ant next to a boot, and I could also see better while driving.
Friends again wanted to ride with me.

When I moved to Sheffield, I left him in my mum's care.
Although it was hard to come home last December, he was one of the highlights.
We've had a great summer, Puck and I, even with the air filter full of cat food (stupid mice).
However, as I prepared to leave again, money troubles hit. My mom couldn't afford to buy him from me. I lost my job and would need money for the trip back to Edinburgh and to pay off some debts.
The decision had to be made.
I would sell Puck.

Tonight I finally, officially, listed him for sale on Craigslist and a local website. :(
So now it's real. I'm selling my car.
I need chocolate.

I will miss that car very much. I didn't even get to take him on one last drive through the foothills.
Alas.

So, please take a moment of silence in honor of a great car,
Puck...
You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment