This week has been really great.
Which is good, as it didn't necessarily start out that way.
Monday was more fruitless flat searching. Tuesday I had two flats to look at. One in Morningside. I got there a bit early and, as recommended by Find a Property, I decided to look around the neighborhood.
I fell in love. The flat was off Morningside Road, on a quiet street, there were plenty of shops around, including lots of charity shops (my weakness). It's a good neighborhood.
Then I arrived at the flat to see about 8 other people waiting.
That did not bode well.
The flat was nice. Very open and airy. Except the oven/cooker was in a cupboard. Still, it would work... Alas, then I found out it was unfurnished. They didn't even know if the table/counter in the kitchen would stay.
So that was a no.
It was bit rainy and I now have lots of minutes until the next viewing. So I get some food at M&S (a word of advice, don't get the apple, beetroot and blackcurrant juice. Yucky) and sat outside a church on Holy Corner eating my lunch and grimacing after each swallow of the juice. It suddenly hit me that, since I didn't know when I was going to get my money, I might as well just put off the flat hunt.
See, as an International Student, I have to either have guarantor (someone who says they will pay my rent in case I don't. And I feel that's an extreme thing to ask) or pay six months in advance. Alas, I don't have thousands of pounds sitting around. Waiting until I had the funds seemed like a good idea. It also made me a bit sad, because I really want my own place! Living out of suitcases is not that fun. I want to go shopping!
The other flat viewing, off Dalry and in a very questionable neighborhood, did nothing to alleviate this slightly depressed feeling. So I journeyed back to my temp home feeling a bit worn out and sad. It all seemed too much. Luckily, at this point, "Don't Give Up" by Michael W Smith came on my Ipod.
As a little back story, one Sunday three years ago, I stood in a park in Sheffield feeling very sad and depressed and homesick. This song came on my Ipod and reminded me that I wanted to be here! That no matter what, don't give up. It's been a theme song ever since.
Again, the music helped. In the middle of an unsure moment, it's good to remember. "This is where I need to be."
Of course, Wednesday made up for all of that. I am super excited for this programme. It's going to be hard work, but I have some great course-mates and awesome teachers.
Craighouse Campus is gorgeous as well!
Plus - FREE BOOK! I got James Hogg's The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner. The university published it last year to celebrate 40 years of Publishing. It's quite good so far.
Thursday we had talks from the CE of Publishing Scotland and PPA Scotland. Every day just reminds me that I've made the right choice in coming back. This is where I am supposed to be right now.
And it's awesome!
Friday I missed the Personal Goal Setting lecture, but I made it to Merchiston for Matriculation (See the UK knows how to make dull things sound better). Merchiston Campus has the Merchiston Tower, which is medieval and very cool looking. Luckily, I had my book, which helped while away the time.
So I'm all official, registered and everything.
The only downside is: I have no idea when I'm getting my loans. See, the lovely US government decided to completely change how they issue Federal Loans to overseas students. They decided to make this change official on July 1st. So, to make a long story short, Napier is still waiting to pass some security checks so... this is fun. More uncertainty! yay.
Onward I press. The weekend has been quite fun. Friday was a great evening with friends and Saturday was fun. Merlin is back! YAY! Great episode.
And now classes start tomorrow. Bring it on! This is going to be great!
So now I'm going to talk to my family on Skype, once they realize I'm still here. :)
Sunday, 12 September 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment