Tuesday, 14 September 2010

Rainy Days and Mondays.

Yesterday I had my first day of class in my new programme!

Being me, I left late and ended up being 15 minutes late. For my 1pm class. Now, I hate being late. When I was in elementary school, I would actually skive off class because I hated walking into class late. Yet, somehow, I am always late. I like to think it's like Elder Neal A. Maxwell said, "Even now, time is clearly not [my] natural dimension. Thus it is that we are never really at home in time." This is me. I don't understand the whole concept of being on time. Yes, I understand it's important... but why? Think about it.
The only way you can guarantee me to be on time is to tell me to be there a half hour earlier and make that sound like the correct time.
I digress.

Anyway, both my buses were late. It takes an hour to get from my temp home to campus. And then, I couldn't find the classroom and the man at the desk in the middle of Turmeau Hall was NOT helpful. He didn't know where the classroom was. His helpful suggestion? Keep opening doors and walk down hallways. Luckily, I found it and took the last chair. Also, luckily, not everyone got the course syllabus, so I didn't have to look like a numpty and ask for one.

This class is about Publishing in Context and that involves the history of publishing. YAY for History!
We have one assessment for the whole course (so, no pressure!) and it's going to be lots of fun! Oh, hard work, yes, but a chance to learn a lot. That's one thing I like about the UK postgraduate system, they just throw you into the water and expect you to learn how to swim.

I also found out that I didn't have the afternoon class, as it's supposed to be a tutorial and we haven't had the lecture yet.
So I rode the bus with my course mate, Katy, who is great fun. I went into a Lothian buses shop and got my Student ridacard (I don't like my picture) and then decided to see how much notebooks cost. I need a couple for the course.
It was a very rainy, windy, somewhat miserable day and a lot of worries started to crowd in. First off, as I don't have my loans yet, I don't have a lot of ready cash. In October, the publishing group is going on a retreat and I desperately want to go, but I don't have the cash for the fee (and I'm sure they don't take credit cards) and it's first come, first served. Also, how to pay for my notebooks and textbooks, when would I be able to get a flat, if I'll have enough money to pay my CC bills next month, when I'll be able to join The Society of Young Publishers (again, a fee is involved), etc. So, after an hour of debating, I finally bought one Pukka Project book (basically, a notebook with dividers) and a littler notebook for various ideas, as recommended by the course leader. And two pens... I debated forever about those. I used the last of my cash.
Tired and hungry, I headed home.
I was, again, glum. Not that I'm not ecstatic to be back, it's just the financial issues are rather overwhelming the goodness at times.
Then, "Don't Give Up" came on my Ipod again. Yes, that cheered me up a little. Mostly I resolved to keep going. Not that I have much of a choice! :)
Then, John Mayer's Heart of Life played next.

"Pain throws your heart to the ground.
Love turns the whole thing around.
Fear is a friend who's misunderstood,
But I know the heart of life is good."

This is a favorite song of mine now, as it captures, I believe, the life experience.
Which was a good thing as the song hadn't even ended when my bag fell to the pavement.
Turns out the little plastic square connecting the shoulder strap to the bag had snapped in half. Super glue probably wouldn't fix it.
Augh and %^%$%^&! I wearily slung the strap over my shoulder and soldiered on. As I groped in the bag for my keys, I realized I couldn't find my camera... my camera which I had bought last November when I'd lost my last camera.
Seriously?
It could be anywhere! GAH!
Luckily, I then felt a bump beneath my jacket and realized it had slipped there earlier.
Whew.
Somehow, though, the emotional dip lasted through the evening. I didn't even go to FHE. I just did not want to be with people.
And today, well, today I've only had to deal with strangers.
I will have someplace to stay until I find a flat, however long that takes. Luckily, I have great friends.
I also got an email today from Napier. They are anticipating getting my loans from the US government by early October. No definite definition of "early," though.
So I really do not like the US government right now.
Anyway, it's very late and I have to get up at 6:30 to catch the bus and be to campus early (this is the goal).
I end with something to make you laugh, as I did, many, many times.
Welcome to Hufflepuff 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment