Sunday, 5 September 2010

I'm back!

Hello from the lovely city of Edinburgh!!

(picture a huge smile on my face)
I am joyous to be back! Joyous!
I can't stop smiling and, occasionally, I giggle or laugh. Yes, this has gotten me some looks.
I feel as though I'm living in a dream. Yet, here I am. It's as if I haven't left.

It was hard saying goodbye to my boys. J was so cute. He was clueless, as most 10 week-olds would be. W started crying. Mostly because he wanted to come outside with me. He also got mad and flung himself back so his head hit my clavicle. Oh, yes I "miss" him. Oh. I even became a bit teary. I'm cold hearted, though. I did not shed tears.

The trip over was rather interesting. I flew out from Philadelphia (very cool skyline and a nice airport). I almost missed my flight, as we left a bit late and I got stuck behind a bunch of kids at the check-in desk. If it hadn't been for a very nice family that let me ahead of them, as they had a later flight, I would have missed it. As it was, I checked in 20 minutes before my flight was supposed to leave. The lady was very nice and friendly (I quite like British Airways) and then I dashed across the lobby to get to security.
As I came up the steps and turned the corner, I ran into... Kinder Transport.
There were all those kids from earlier, and lots of other people, kissing, hugging, and crying. It was like London in WWII!

The kids were off on some summer trip or something. I have no idea. I spent my time talking to the cute German guy in front of me. He was on the same flight, but going to Hamburg. Alas.
The mean security man told the families to leave after the kids had gone through. Finally.
I made it through security just in time.
The flight was nice. I had the chicken (always makes me think of Eddie Izzard).
British Airways gives you an eye mask, socks (socks!), and a cool travel size toothbrush with adorably cute mini-toothpaste.
The worst part was after dinner when I really needed the loo, so I could go to sleep. (Question: can anyone fall asleep needing to pee?) We had hit turbulence and that lovely seatbelt light was on. And if you dared get up, the angry voice came on the speaker system and told you to sit back down.  I would not dare such wrath. So I stayed up until the darn light went off. So I got about 90 minutes of sleep.
And woke up to find my neighbors feasting on this lovely breakfast in a box. Yummy! Then I got handed... a muffin. Oh, and some orange juice. So filling.

The best part was that I woke up just as we flew over Ireland. Beautiful.
That meant we came in over Wales and England as the sky lightened. Lovely. This is why I get the window seat.

The sun started rising as we landed in London. You could see the Thames, the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, and other sights as the plane lowered. Wonderful!

A smile never left my face. I was back in the UK!!! Really, truly back. I was again in a country I worried I'd never see again. And it was beautiful.
Cue The Beatles' Back in the USSR. For some reason, that was the song in my head. If you can figure a way to change it to "Back in the UK," let me know.
I also spoke a bit with the couple next to me. They were on their way back from visiting their son in Philadelphia. Very nice people.

Heathrow is a bit confusing, but I made it through the UK Border (ha ha ha) and went through security (which I'm getting fairly good at, also... didn't have to take off my shoes). It was funny, as I was surrounded by Asian girls. More Americans need to travel abroad.

At this point, I realized that I wasn't at Arrivals.
Now, there was friend who was supposed to meet me there, as I had a five hour layover. Well, he said he would see if he could come.
Granted, I had landed at 6am and that is a true test of friendship. But... what if he had come? I had no UK mobile yet, so no way of getting a hold of him. And what if he was waiting for me?
This lead to an hour-long epic of me talking to security people, finally getting escorted back to the UK Border, with a large queue and which I had to go through, AGAIN and then out into the terminal.
The stamp on my passport isn't even legible.
Finally, I straggled through with my heavy backpack, complete with laptop, and my carry-on, and went out into the lobby.
Now, I don't want this friend, who shall remain nameless, to feel bad or anything... you know... for NOT showing up. Especially after the trouble I went through to get there. Please, feel no guilt at all.

I strolled up and down the terminal looking for him.
Luckily, there was a Marks and Spencer (joy!), so all is forgiven. I bought a yummy fruit bowl and some Wensleydale cheese with cranberries. Oh, heaven!
Finally, deciding my friend was not going to come, I took the escalators up to go through security again.
Where I saw this:
It's something to do with the 2012 Olympics. Kinda cool.
Anyway, I spent the next couple hours talking myself out of buying a book (good for me) and then surfing the web. Thank heavens for Facebook, as I was very, very tired at this point and typing was the only activity keeping me awake, as it didn't require much movement.
Then the 5 hour layover was ending and I found myself on a flight bound for Edinburgh. Huzzah! It was awesome! The sky was a patchwork of clouds, offering brief glimpses of the country below it.

I briefly took a nap and swear I woke up as we entered Scottish Air:
Scotland!
And then we flew over Edinburgh:

Darn reflection in the glass. Anyway... Awesomeness! I was BACK! I laughed out loud.
Not even the chore of dragging my four suitcases around the airport would dampen my mood.
It's wonderful to be back. Church today was great. So many hugs and so many friends.
I have no idea what happens next, but I know I'm here, where I'm supposed to be, and that gives me peace.
I've finally come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment