So last night (Thursday), I did a possibly stupid thing. As with most of my actions, it wasn't until too late that I realized what I'd done.
I spent the evening with my Medieval gals and it was a grand time. (The Earl of Marchmont serves delicious food... so yummy! AND fresh squeezed orange juice out of this cool machine that squeezes the oranges). We then discussed books, Medieval marginalia, and watched Youtube videos until after 10pm.
Gosh, it was fun. I've missed E and F muchly.
I am also in love with their flat.
So, after this fab evening, I needed to catch a bus back to my temporary home. I walked over to the Nicolsen Street to catch the 3 or 29. I went through part of the Meadows. Which is awesome.
I'm fairly good with the Lothian bus system now. Vast experience and all that.
Alas, the #3 went by just as I was getting to the crosswalk. Le sigh.
I got to the bus stop and the 29 was due soon. Perfect.
Then I was impetuous.
Sometimes this does not end well.
See, a #7 pulled up and... I remembered catching a 7 on Tuesday, when I overshot my bus stop and had to backtrack.
Which meant that the 7 went to Gilmerton, right?
Right! So, on I hop and take a seat on the top (I LOVE sitting upstairs on double decker buses. Right in the front seats, if possible.).
The bus goes down Minto Street and I open up Inkheart to start reading, when I suddenly realize... I don't recognize this street!
Pulling out my trusty map of Edinburgh (which desperately needs to be rebound), I find my location and notice I'm going in a new direction... one far, far away from Gilmerton.
Which means I may have to walk a far bit.
If the bus gets to Hyvots....
It's almost 23:30 and sometimes late buses don't go the whole way.
What do I do in that instance?
My book is forgotten, as is the Beethoven on my Ipod.
I have done something possibly very stupid.
Luckily, and I do mean luckily, the 7 goes to Hyvots and THEN on to Gilmerton.
I get off (there was only one little old man left on the bus) and watch the bus change to a 33. Whew.
There's still a far bit to walk, past a chippy and a Dominos, but they are fairly deserted. Only a couple of men and a dog outside a pub.
I keep looking behind me and keeping my Ipod volume on low. I possibly watch too much Criminal Minds.
Walking along a seemingly deserted street at Midnight is a surreal experience. Like you're in a post apocalyptic world. With only cats left.
Only one car went by and it didn't stop and have people get out and grab me.
Whew!
I made it back safely.
My poor guardian angel.
Friday, 3 September 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Next time call me :-) P.S. the 33 would have dropped you closer
ReplyDeleteHa ha. Too late now, Patti!
ReplyDeleteThe 3 and 29 stop right on Drum Street right down the road. The 33 only stops on Gilmerton, so it's a fair bit further.