On a side note, my headache was not lending itself to a good mood, so I quoted Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog on Facebook as my status.
It's a brand new day
And the sun is high
All the birds are singing
That you're gonna die.
(much panic ensued on Facebook, including a very worried-sounding message to me from a friend).
Conclusion: More people need to watch Dr. Horrible. (And I'm SO downloading the soundtrack.)
Also, some people think I'm suicidal and will post this on Facebook (Que?)
Anyway, so a day like this calls for the forest walk home. Yes, my campus is surrounded by woods and a golf course.
| I feel like a hobbit today. |
| My very own ruins! |
| Two moments later, the orcs attacked. |
Since tonight was supposed to be Castle night with my friend, I stopped off for some rice pudding and then got into my flat.
Backstory: Now, remember that over a month ago, the time of the firemen, there was some burning wires so the whole building has to be rewired, apparently. Well, they've been "fixing" it, so they put up scaffolding a month ago.
| This greets me every day. |
| It's like the Sistine Chapel without Michelangelo. Or art. |
Thus, the saga was set to begin. And when I got home this afternoon, say around 4pm, all was quiet and dark (nothing unusual in that). Until I opened my front door and found a letter saying that, because they couldn't access my flat, the power was still off. No light. So I had to call this number and talk to one of those annoying pre-recorded voices and, pressing the wrong number, found out there were some electrical problems in parts of Glasgow (not really pertinent to me), then the dang auto-voice lady ENDED THE CALL! So I had to call back and finally talk to a person, who told me that someone would be there ASAP.
So I watched some Mythbusters (forever thankful for free Itunes downloads on my laptop)... until the battery got low and then I read some books... using my torch and a candle.
Yep. At one point, as the twilight fell, I ended up playing with my torch (flashlight for the Yanks) and making faces in the light... like you used to do when you were five.
There was NO power... no heat, no internet, no fridge. 7 pm came. I called again... um... they're on their way. So, no Young Women for me tonight. I can't leave. Someone has to be here to let them in. I learned that, without technology, we are cut off. At least my mobile still worked and could access the internet and Facebook.
I also ate ice cream. Hey, it was melting. Which was good because the rest of my food needed to be cooked and there was no way my candle flame was strong enough to grill fish. Not that I tried.
I wanted to eat, but didn't dare leave the flat.
I could hear people moving upstairs. THEY must have lights. I could see the people across the street... THEY had light!
Anyway, finally, as I was getting ready to call again (around 9 pm), a loud knock sounded at my door. They were here! And they had adorable Scottish accents and one of them sang (which is why all of them became electricians, Jim said, they couldn't sing). It only took two hours and was rather fascinating to watch as it involved huge drills, lots of wires, more wires, grey boxes of wires and a stepladder.
Then it was finished and there was light.
And much rejoicing.
Thus the Saga ended.
With no orcs.
| There was, however, a Ninja sheep. |
I think I'm reading too much Cracked.com.


No comments:
Post a Comment