Sunday, 27 June 2010

Of boxes, thunderstorms, and fridge magnets.

Sometimes I feel like this world
Is just one big, gigantic merry-go-round
You gotta hold on tight
Or you get hurled thru the air.


Yea, life is a 3 ring circus
With clowns and freaks and camels and such
And you never know when you might be
Attacked by the bears.
from Love Me Good by Michael W. Smith.

The above song is one of my favorites. I tend to listen to it a lot when things are rough and I need to remind myself that everyone feels that way at one point. In my case, several different points.

No jobs this week. Which translates into worrying about money. However, I've applied for a job that I will call about on Monday. Fingers crossed.
So I started going through boxes (at my mum's behest) to get them taken care of before I go. When I left for Sheffield all those years ago, most of my possessions were just stuffed into rubbermaid cartons and put in our garage. It's like a treasure hunt. Or a memory game. I lived on my own for a couple years and so I have tons of things, including an air conditioner and a 12 seat dining room set. No, I'm not kidding. Let's just say at one point I needed them.
I seriously could have a yard sale... tons of stuff! 
I've gone through three boxes so far, including one full of holiday decorations. Kept for the future when I will need to decorate my house.
This process has been interesting. Part of me wants to get rid of everything. Part of me wants to hold on to things. It's a battle... do I keep it because I might need it at some point? Or do I get rid of it because I can buy another? Tough choices.

I've also been led to ponder my fetish for fridge magnets. Surprisingly, I don't have any sheep fridge magnets... hmm. This might need to be rectified.
I have two sandwich bags of magnets, including the ones I collected in various spots in England. (Hey, I could not pass by Doctor Who magnets - especially as they were of David Tennant).

Each box is almost or half empty. This is a good sign. Deseret Industries is going to be happy with me. No estimate on how many boxes in the garage and shed are mine. The search continues. I'm hoping to find a box of shoes I know is hidden somewhere in the garage. I WILL find it!

The only big problem is the books. Moving back from Edinburgh, I had to ship a box of books home.
I haven't even started on the books.

Then yesterday I woke up and was... ill. Let's just leave it at that. Which means I've spent the last two days in bed.

Which makes me enjoy my laptop as I can stay in bed and still have access to the outside world. In my inbox, there were three emails from the UK. I was excited. Alas, one was from Napier, asking me to get my offer acceptance letter in quickly. Which I'm trying to do, but I have to submit my pre-payment with it and I don't have that money just lying around. The other email was from Stirling, reminding me about scholarship deadlines... which I cannot apply for as I have not been accepted... yet. I have the Oxford Brookes phone interview on Wednesday. Not one word from Kingston.
This all may change... maybe the Lord wants me to go to Oxford Brookes.

The hunt for accommodation continues. I've found some Unite Student places that look quite good, but I'm wary about the whole thing. I lived in St. George and Ratcliffe Terrace without seeing them and they were fine (St. George was the best), but...maybe I could find somewhere cheaper?

Then... tonight a friend told me that the UK is putting a cap on visas... yikes. Which I hope does not mean student visas. 'Cause that would take away income from the UK government. But more importantly, not let me in the country.

So no final answers yet. 

Now, soI don't end on a sad note... two good things that happened this week...
One- I visited my bro and finally got to hold J, my nephew. He's itty bitty and light! It was wonderful.
Two - an awesome thunderstorm rolled through here last night. Lightening all around. The house even shook once! Lightening used to scare me and I still flinch, yet it's so beautiful. As the storm was moving East, the moon came out! So the sky was half lightening, half moonlight. Gorgeous! I wrote a poem about it.
So it's church tomorrow and the beginning of a new week. A week I hope will bring enable me to make concrete plans. Maybe even... (gasp!)... book a flight!


PS: In the weeks to come... a list of things I will and will not miss about being in the USA. #1?  Those annoying pharmaceutical ads. And boo-ya. I spelled pharmaceutical in one try!

Ta, luvs!

Here's a link to the song and vid. Enjoy.
Love Me Good - Michael W Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment