Happy Memorial Day, everyone! It's one of my favorite holidays, not only for the three day weekend (which doesn't matter anyway right now as I'm unemployed!), but because I get to go visit cemeteries. It's a family tradition.
Call me strange, but I enjoy grave sites.
In Edinburgh, I used to walk around the Grange Road Cemetery when I had the chance.
They are peaceful places, to me. A bit of history.
Also, a great place to get names, for whatever reason.
So Sunday, after church, Mum and I headed down to Idaho Falls to visit several graves. We took a bouquet of faux lilies. So pretty. We didn't got to any of the Wadsworth ones. I'm not close to any of that side of the family. I'm much closer to my mum's side. Growing up, they were who I spent time with.
The first grave is my Great-grandpa Potter. He died before I was born, but I loved my grandma and know a little of his history. A good man.
Next to him, sadly, is his son and daughter-in-law (my great uncle and aunt), who I did know. Great people. Not too far away is my Great-Aunt on my Yearsley side. A wonderful woman. Uncle Joe Potter and Aunt Jessie Yearsley both died in the last year and I couldn't come to the funerals, so this was my way of paying tribute. It was a cloudy day, but the sun came out and was so warm. I had a lot of wandering time, as my mum was grooming my Great-grandpa's grave. She had a knife and was sawing away at the overgrown grass! There were also some ducks. I liked this.
Cemeteries are full of peace, a look at lives well lived and loved. There is also sadness, in graves of babies or those who died young. The overgrown grave with no flowers. Yet, I still find the place a respite.
I did find the grave of a woman who died a week before her 101st birthday!
Next to Aunt Jessie's grave was a large glass vase of roses and little white flowers. I think it was from her husband. Such a lovely gift.
There was also a bench with the ends shaped like Idaho. Practical, yet pretty.
Next stop was Annis-Butte cemetery where my dear Gramps is buried. Ironically, he was the last of my grandparents, on both sides, to pass away and the oldest, at 92! I miss him and his old red Ford truck.
So many memories!
When I was younger, we used to visit Annis-Butte regularly. Lots of relatives buried there. I don't find cemeteries creepy (unless it's a night. which is why they are closed). There is such a connection with the past there. Maybe that's why it's soothing.
Our last stop was Terreton and the resting place of Grams. I still miss her. There is a hole in me that won't patch. Even after all these years. Oh, I miss her. I would have loved to have her come visit me in Edinburgh. What adventures we would have had!
The reader may note that she isn't buried next to Gramps. Yep. Could write a long blog about that!
The coolest part of the day was that Brant and Jenn came and brought my nephew. And he crawled all over his great-grandma's grave. She would have enjoyed that.
It's strange too, because she's not there. I know her body is, but I don't feel any closer to her in the cemetery. Same with my grandpa. It's nice to be there, to feel the peace, yet it's not where she is. I cannot explain it any better.
All in all, a fun day, except for a very grumpy baby who did not want to be in his car seat.
Today was great fun too! Today is Brant and Jenn's two year anniversary. So we got the little munchkin so they could have the day off. I do not mind. Watching babies is amazing! They learn so fast and such simple things are fascinating to them. For instance, he just loves opening and closing doors. He'll do it for several minutes.
We ended the night with yummy food and the film 17 Again. I love that film! So funny, so sweet and it has Medieval stuff in it. You HAVE to enjoy that.
Tomorrow is back into the unknown. And the ongoing job hunt. wahoo.
Ta!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment