Sunday, 17 October 2010

I'm a chesspiece.

Remember that cool scene with life-size Wizard Chess in the first Harry Potter film?

Ohhh, look how young they were!

Anyway, do you remember what happened when Ron lost? 

That's how I've felt this last week. It's an epic tale involving tears and, unfortunately, toilets and left me feeling in pieces.

My saga with the Lothian buses continues. The word for Monday was: uphill.
I left my flat late, dragging my little carry-on up, up, up the hill to the bus stop as fast as I could... didn't help - I had missed the bus.
New problem - how in the heck to get to campus, as I am unfamiliar with the bus system from this area ... but I caught one, only to discover that the bus went down the wrong road, which meant that then I had to walk up ANOTHER hill, a very steep one, to get to Craiglockhart. My poor arms.
Anyway, so I had to be picked up by the mini bus. :S
However, the drive up to The Burn was gorgeous! Scotland is amazingly beautiful. Plus, we got to cross the Forth of Firth bridge. I love both of them.

We were near a village called Edzell, which has a castle, but I didn't get to see it. :(
I want to go back.
That Monday the profs took us all out on a walk, I suspect to tire us out. It worked.
What a gorgeous estate, though!
 The walk followed the river, which was sometimes a bit scary, as the trail was narrow and the way down very steep.
Sometimes I felt like I was in Lord of the Rings.
We also stopped frequently for pictures. I fell in love with the area. Then, the best part of the hike was this:
Isn't it beautiful! I know absolutely nothing about it. There was, alas, no plaque. 
I also broke in my new wellies, which were fabulous. 
I've also discovered that my life will never be the same. Once people find out I'm majoring in publishing, they turn into authors. There was a couple at The Burn who had written a book and, well, 30 publishing majors were their dream come true. :)
The night ended with a pub quiz, which was fun and very hard.

Then the chess pieces moved.
Tuesday was going to be great fun. We had a podcast to create, a treasure hunt, and scones! Alas, I woke up not feeling well. I thought the traditional Scottish breakfast would help, but... well, it didn't. I went back to my room to rest and ... Let me just say that I spent the morning in intimate acquaintance with the toilet. We got to know each other very well.
I also have to find an amazing present for my Programme leader, who held my hair up at one point. (you're welcome to submit ideas for this awesome present).
At last, my continuous prayers of relief were answered and I slept. At one point, someone thought I was dead.
Waking up feeling alive and not nauseous is one of the best feelings in the world! However, I'm gutted (ha ha ha) that I missed out on basically a whole day. We had another pub quiz and I ended up staying up late talking with our profs. They are awesome people.
It really brought home to me how much I love this programme. It's definitely where I'm supposed to be and it's still fun. I love it. We're all crazy. Bwa ha ha.

So being sick and staying up late made me a bit rummy on Wednesday as we drove back to a freezing cold Edinburgh. My ridacard had expired, so I made sure I had the money to get a bus into city centre to renew it. Well, on the way down, I realized I had a letter to mail, so I got off and mailed my letter... only to realize that I was nowhere near the Lothian bus office AND I would have to buy another fare. So I walked instead, carting my lovely carry-on behind me. 
Now I renewed my card, helped some tourists find their way and then went to M&S to trip little old ladies with my lagging luggage. 
My upper body and ribs hurt with almost every movement, especially when I laughed. 
I ended up spending most of Wednesday night in tears and Thursday night on a couch. To protect the innocent, I will not explain what happened here. 

Suffice it to say, I'm now sleeping on that couch, but, the really, really, really good news is... I have money! Someone at Napier threw all the toys out of the pram (my new fav phrase) and I received an emergency loan. Let the flat hunting commence! Do do do dooo!

I also received a blessing Friday night and it helped immensely.
My throat hurts like the dickens and I'm very tired, BUT I'll soon have a place of my own.
Mood - content.
Also, went shoe shopping and got some adorable shoes. I have amazing friends who love me even when I feel I'm not the best person. 
Also, watched Merlin last night... such a great show. 
I'm now addicted to quack and oink pie. Soo yummy.

If this is some test to see how bad I want to stay in Edinburgh... bring it. 
I'll take sleeping on a couch. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment